More that seven men die by suicide every week in Victoria. The economic cost of male suicide in VIC is estimated to be $3B per year. This year we’re helping to put male suicide on the agenda in VIC by hosting a Stop Male Suicide seminar in Melbourne.
EVENT: Stop Male Suicide in VIC Seminar
DATE: Wednesday 30th November 2016
TIME: 9am – 4pm
LOCATION: MensLine, Footscray, VIC 3011
Full Price tickets for those booking after 28th October @ $100 per person:
Please note we have a small number of concessions available. Please email StopMaleSuicide@gmail.com if you wish to apply.
9.30-11.00: MORNING SESSION: STOPPING MALE SUICIDE
9.30: Welcome address, Kim O’Neill, CEO, On The Line
9.45: Stopping Male Suicide in VIC, Glen Poole Stop Male Suicide Project
10.00: Lived Experience Speakers
- Session A: Tony McManus, R U OK?
- Session B: Cassandra Quinn, Follow The Dots
10.30: Best Practice Talks
- Session C: Pete Nicholls, Dads In Distress, working with separated dads
- Session D: Owen Connolly, LaTrobe Regional Hospital, working with men rural communities
- Session E: MensLine, talk and tour
11.30-12.30: SUICIDE PREVENTION SKILLS
- Session F: Glenn Melvin, Monash University, Can your smartphone see you through? Using the BeyondNow – a safety planning suicide prevention app to reduce suicide risk.
- Session G: Marisca Seinen, Lifeline Gippsland, How ASIST/SAFETALK training can help you stop male suicide
13.30-14.10: AFTERNOON SESSION (PART ONE): WORKING WITH MEN
- Session H: Working with men bereaved by suicide, Jules Haddock and Kevin James, Suicide Bereavement Service Geelong
- Session I: Are you right mate? Why are men at greater risk of suicide? Brian Kennedy, Community Suicide Prevention Training
- Session J: MensLine Talk and Tour
14.10-14.45: AFTERNOON SESSION (PART ONE): WORKING WITH MEN
- Session K: Save Your Bacon, getting the suicide prevention message to local tradies, Jeremy Forbes, HALT
- Session L: How any man can be at risk of suicide, Dianne Colbert, Healthy Hearts, Healthy Minds
- Session M: MensLine Talk and Tour
15.15-16.00: FINAL SESSION: REFLECTING ON THE DAY
FURTHER INFORMATION: StopMaleSuicide@gmail.com